Using this Learning Kit will increase staff awareness of how much their approach and interactions impact people living with dementia. It will help them understand that dementia is not a choice, but a condition that affects a person’s ability to function “normally.” As care partners, it is possible to adapt what we do to improve care interactions and outcomes. The practical and well-designed techniques demonstrated in these videos can be used by any member of your staff, volunteers, or family members.
Advanced Care Skills in Late-Stage Dementia (Duration: 2 hours/120 minutes)
Teepa’s insights are based on a foundation of science, mixed with a genuine dose of love and understanding for people living with dementia. Advanced Care Skills is a great learning tool for anyone, from beginning in-home care partner to experienced professional.
- how to calmly get a person out of bed while protecting your back
- how to safely transfer a person from bed to wheelchair
- how to best transfer a person from bed to wheelchair using a SARA lift
- how to bathe and dress a person in bed while protecting their dignity
- how to assist with eating and drinking using the most compassionate care techniques
Chapter 1: Getting Out Of Bed (23 minutes)
Chapter 2: Transferring From Bed to Wheelchair (15 minutes)
Chapter 3: SARA Lift Transfer From Bed to Wheelchair (19 minutes)
Chapter 4: Bathing and Dressing in Bed (44 minutes)
Chapter 5: Assisting with Eating and Drinking (16 minutes)